The BIMP-EAGA Tertiary Industry Forum Showcase 2019 & World Halal Culinary Championship 2019 kicked off yesterday at the International Convention Centre (ICC) in Berakas.
The event which was organised by Brunei Darussalam BIMP-EAGA Business Council (BD-BEBC) aimed to strengthen cooperation among BIMP-EAGA countries in the tertiary industry especially on logistic services, supply chain, cross border trading, online to offline
business, food manufacturing and network marketing.
Head of SME Development at BD-BEBC Captain (Rtd) Zailan Pehin Datu Kerma Setia Major (Rtd) Dato Seri Laila Jasa Mohd Don, in his opening remarks, said that such efforts are hoped to spin off influence on socio-economic growth and development in East Asean region.
For Brunei’s economic activities development, he added, the council’s current focus is to make the country as a transshipment hub for Syariah compliance products.
“Brunei’s strategic location in Borneo is ideal for an international halal trading hub. Our close
collaboration with Labuan Halal Hub will strengthen Brunei, Labuan and
Sabahbusiness councils’ logistic infrastructures to operate cross border trading beyond the
BIMP-EAGA region,” said Captain (Rtd) Zailan.
At the event, the council witnessed the sigining of eight agreements with several business partners from Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand. They are:
- Logistics company Reefer Express Line from the Philippines is set to have its a cargo vessel calling to ports in BIMP-EAGA region via Brunei to and from Vietnam this year.
- For Halal Food Processing Factory in Brunei on investment opportunities, an agreement was made between Angus International Holding and Multipro Resources.
- An agreement for payment gatewayforBIMP-EAGA e-commerce platforms was also signed between PayHalal and Multipro Resources.
- To provide media coverage on BIMP-EAGA with the scope on halal economic and business, Astera Consultant (Brunei) inked a deal with Malaysian company Consortium 21TV Network.
- Astera Consultant (Brunei) also made an agreement with catTHIS (Singapore) for its Sharia Market Newspaper for news coverage.
- For crossborder network marketing in BIMP-EAGA and ASEAN, a contract was signed between PT BEST (Indonesia) and EcoRacing Technology (Brunei).
- For halal product cross border trade and marketing in BIMP-EAGA and ASEAN, Perak Halal Corporation (Malaysia) and IHTHS Corporation (Brunei) also made their pact.
- WINMAS (Indonesia), GTWO International (Thailand) and GII International Services (Brunei) signed a deal to provide e-commerce platforms and supply chain ecosystem on halal products.
Moreover, the first-ever World Halal Culinary Championship 2019 was also held during the showcase where 12 teams comprising of professional chefs from Brunei and international countries compete against one another to claim the title “Champion”.
All teams are required to cook within one hour and a half to prepare appetizers, main course and desserts before present the dishes to the judges.
What makes the challenge exciting will be the finale tomorrow. Finalists will be presented with a surprise box in the Black Box challenge where they will prepare a dish from secret ingredients within a limited time.
The champion will receive $2,000 cash prize, while the second and third place winners will receive $1,500 and $500, respectively.
Come over to ICC today and enjoy the culinary challenge as well as various food samples from participating vendors.
The Bruneian | BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN