One positive case has passed away on Friday announced the minister of health, leading the total number of COVID-19 related fatalities in Brunei to 21.

Speaking during a press conference, Yang Berhormat Dato Seri Setia Dr Hj Md Isham Hj Jaafar said that the deceased was Case 867, a 73-year-old woman who died of a lung infection after contracting COVID-19.

General view of the extension of the isolation are,Ma’had Islam Brunei, Tutong district. Image:Yusri Adanan

The minister also announced that 139 new active cases were also recorded on Friday, with the total number of COVID-19 cases in Brunei rises to 4,814.

Meanwhile, 112 individuals have recovered from COVID-19 which figure includes 13 positive cases from Category 1 who have undergone self-isolation for 14 days at their respective homes.

“All of them underwent a repeat swab test on day 12 and were confirmed to have recovered,” he said.

With that, the minister added, the total number of recovered cases in the country has increased to 3,256.

Security on duty at the main entrence of Ma’had Islam,Tutong district. Image:Yusri Adanan

Moreover, four new clusters have been identified on Friday namely; the 4524 Cluster, 4446 Cluster, 4699 Cluster and 4440 Cluster which involved 27 cases including cases that were previously unidentified in their sources of infection.

With this, the active clusters in Brunei to stand at 88.

It was also reported that there were 41 additional new cases to ten of the existing active clusters and they are those who are currently being quarantined and were found to be in contact with several confirmed cases.

Meanwhile, 70 cases are still being investigated to determine the source of the infection, said the minister, adding that contact tracing for all these new cases is in full swing and identified close contacts are required to undergo mandatory quarantine and RT-PCR SARS-CoV-2 testing.

Currently, there are 1,528 active cases in the country and among these cases, nine are in critical condition, where eight cases require assistance of artificial ventilation and one case still requires the help of an additional heart/lung machine (ECMO).

Furthermore, 21 cases that were categorised in Category 4 are now admitted at the Intensive Care Unit for close monitoring, said the minister.

In the past 24 hours, a total of 4,935 samples have been tested for the SARS-CoV-2 virus which brings the total number of laboratory tests conducted from January 2020 to 296,362.

Low on blood supply stock

According to the health ministry, the Blood Donation Centre at the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospita (RIPAS) is currently experiencing low blood supply stocks and requires the immediate supply of all types of blood from the public.

“We would like to call on the public, especially organisers of blood donation campaigns whether from the Government sector, Uniformed Forces, Non-government Organisations, Private Sectors, Higher Learning Institutions, etc to assist the Blood Donation Centre in its effort to increase the blood supply stock in the country,” the minister said.

He further instructed that the organisers of blood donation campaigns are required to comply with the guidelines from the ministry to tighten the measures in the prevention and control of COVID-19.

“Public who wish to donate blood at the Blood Donation Centre, Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital are advised to book their blood donation slots using the BloodKad app,” he said, adding that the Blood Donation Centre will only be accepting blood donors by appointments and bookings via the BloodKad app.

For those who wish to donate, the Blood Bank, Blood Donation Centre at the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital and Suri Seri Begawan Hospital, Belait will operate every Monday to Thursday and Saturday, from 8:00am to 2:00pm.

Moreover, the Blood Bank at the Pengiran Isteri Hajjah Mariam, Temburong will operate every Monday to Thursday and Saturday, from 9am to 11.30am and 1.30pm to 3.30pm.

Image: The Bruneian

Whereas, the Blood Bank at the Pengiran Muda Mahkota Pengiran Muda Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah Hospital, Tutong will be temporarily closed until further notice.

YB Dato Dr Hj Md Isham also said that the ministry greatly appreciate the cooperation of all positive cases that have provided support to the Government’s efforts in controlling the spread of the COVID-19 outbreak in particular by voluntarily presenting themselves for isolation at the designated isolation centres.

“Alhamdulillah, majority of the cases have shown positive attitudes during their monitoring and treatment at the centres,” he said.

“For cases in Category 1 and Category 2 who mostly only require monitoring, they are advised to fill their free time as best as possible while also abiding by all the instructions given,” he further added.

For further information and latest updates, please visit the official website of the Ministry of Health at www.moh.gov.bn or by contacting the Health Advice Line 148 or email to askhal@moh.gov.bn through the BruHealth App.

THE BRUNEIAN | BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

Advertisements

Follow by Email
Share
error: Content is protected !!