Health Minister Yang Berhormat Dato Seri Setia Dr Hj Md Isham Hj Jaafar in a press conference held at Al-Afiah Hall. Image: Analisa Amu

Three more positive COVID-19 cases have been identified by the Ministry of Health (MoH) today, recording a total of 40 cases in the sultanate.

This new development was announced by Health Minister Yang Berhormat Dato Seri Setia Dr Hj Md Isham Hj Jaafar in a press conference held at the ministry early this evening.

Cases 38, 39 and 40 are related to the mass tabligh gathering held in Kuala Lumpur recently, whereby Case 38 is a member of the tabligh group while the remaining two are family members of a confirmed case.

Case details

  • Case 38 is a 17-year-old local teenager who went to the religious gathering and returned to Brunei on March 3 onboard Air Asia flight via Miri with no symptoms shown.
  • Case 39 is a 38-year-old female who is the sister-in-law of Case 13 and wife of Case 33. She previously attended a family dinner with Cases 13 and 33.

She did not show any symptoms and no travel history to Kuala Lumpur.

  • Case 40 is a nine-month-old baby who has no symptoms is the daughter of Case 15 and did not have travel history to Kuala Lumpur.
Source: Ministry of Health

“All of the cases who are now at the National Isolation Centre are in stable condition, showing no symptoms and do not require any breathing assistance,” the minister said.

To date, some 638 people have been quarantined under the Infectious Disease Act (Chapter 204) and MoH continues to investigate contacts of each case.

Furthermore, the ministry would also like to inform the public that all Bruneians who attended the tabligh event have been tracked.

Seventy-six out of 85 people have returned to the sultanate and underwent laboratory testing; 19 are positive and 57 are negative.

Nine individuals, the minister added, are still in Kuala Lumpur and eight of them are under quarantine, still waiting for COVID-19 test results.

The Ministry of Health building located at Commonwealth Drive. Image: Ridhwan Kamarulzaman

Meanwhile, one Bruneian student is tested negative for COVID-19 and currently undergoing quarantine at Sungai Buloh Hospital, Selangor.

“Members of the public especially tabligh congregants are not allowed to join any mass religious gathering for the meantime including the upcoming event slated to take place from March 19 -22 in Makatto, South Sulawesi, Indonesia,” said YB Dato Dr Hj Md Isham.

Although the number of confirmed new cases today is low, he added, the majority of the contacts are still undergoing treatment and there are possibilities of new cases.

Moreover, the spread of infection globally has shown a drastic increase and although COVID-19 in Brunei is under control, there are still risks of entry and virus transmission in the country.

“The ministry has also reviewed the Risk Categorisation of countries affected by COVID-19 and the public is advised to refer to the ministry’s website for the latest updates,” he said.

For further information and latest developments, visit MoH’s website at www.moh.gov.bn or call its 24-hour Health Advice Line 148.

Source: Ministry of Health

Temporary relocation of services

The ministry’s Health Services Department is also making changes to its services at all health centres in the Brunei – Muara District.

Members of the public who usually seek treatment for fever, cough, flu and respiratory problems, among others at their respective flu clinics will need to go to Berakas Health Centre and Pengkalan Batu Health Centre starting March 16.

These centres will be the designated flu clinic to handle flu cases only and other centres in the district will be temporarily closed.

The Bruneian | BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

Advertisements

Follow by Email