LiveWIRE Brunei recently conducted its LiveWIRE Business Awards Bootcamp 2020 focusing on Circular Economy and In-Country Value opportunities, particularly in agrotechnology and innovation.
The inaugural three-day workshop which commenced on July 27-29, and August 4 – 6 was launched in response to the Business Awards revised approach introduced this year.
In addition to the revised approach is the ‘Business Award Focus’ that revolves around five main areas in the competition namely; Agrotechnology, Energy Transition, Waste Management, Digitalisation and Smart Manufacturing.
The bootcamp is designed to align with providing local content parallel to the nation’s strategic drive towards Digitilisation and Industrial Revolution 4.0.
Speaking to participants during the session were LiveWIRE Brunei Counsellors Mohd Fadhilullah Tudun Hassan, Afiq Mohammed and Dina Damit.
Amongst the modules covered in the bootcamp include;
- Market Assessment: On current energy trends and Industry, and how to assess the market factors using micro and macro lens.
- Design Thinking: Methodology for human centred creative and practical problem-solving.
- Theory of Change: Helps an organisation better understand what it is trying to achieve by having a clear vision and mission, and by mapping out activities and outcomes that leads to it.
- Business Model Canvas: An overall view of a business, from its value proposition, customers, delivery infrastructure, and financial models.
- Building and Managing Teams: Understanding on how to lead and manage a team through effective feedback and leadership styles.
- Communicating A Narrative: How to deliver an effective pitch through content, body language and delivery, as well as understanding what the audience needs to hear.
Discussions on Covid-19 considerations and SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) were also applied.
When asked about the business ideation from participants throughout both boot camps, Senior Business Counsellor Mohd Fadhilullah said, “Participants were grouped in their respective categories, which saw larger groups in e-Commerce and smaller groups in agriculture, education, IT services, e-delivery platforms, solar power, renewable energy, recycling, waste management, and crowd-funding.”
One of the participants, Amirul, a self-employed freelancer/tradesman said that the workshop is a good platform to learn about what is required and how to communicate and present our ideas effectively.
“The pitching part is the most important to know what the audience such as customers, investors and judges would expect from us and from there we can refine our presentation further,” he said.
Participants who attended the bootcamp comprised of entrepreneurs, members of the public, IBTE students and LiveWIRE alumni.
The LiveWIRE Business Awards Bootcamp is an adaptation of the Energy Solutions derived from Dalberg, a strategic advisory firm dedicated to global development.
The LiveWIRE Brunei Business Awards is a programme designed to reward and give recognition to those who are outstanding in their business planning and existing business operations.
The programme is an initiative by LiveWIRE Brunei and fully funded by Brunei Shell Petroleum, which aims at grooming and mentoring current and future entrepreneurs.
This is just one of BSP’s many commitments towards nurturing and developing local business competencies, capabilities and competitiveness in particular for long-term sustainability of Brunei Darussalam’s private sector economy.
For this year’s LiveWIRE Brunei Business Awards application, the submission deadline is on September 11.
Apart from the bootcamp, the awards process also includes Business Mentorship, Pitching Session, Award Presentation and Networking & Alumni support.
Further information can be obtained at awards.livewirebrunei.com. – Analisa Amu
The Bruneian | BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN