One new case of COVID-19 was reported in the sultanate on Saturday, bringing the national total to 137 cases, announced the Minister of Health.
Case 137 is the wife to case 109 and related to the cluster of case 73. The 31-year-old has no travel history and shows no symptoms of infection.
Speaking during a press conference, Yang Berhormat Dato Seri Setia Dr Hj Md Isham Hj Jaafar said this means that the 28-day countdown, the durational benchmark for when the country can safely evaluate lifting the COVID-19 policy responses, has been reset.
In a previous press conference, he stated that, “the countdown will only be reset if the infection has spread, even if the spread is limited for example, should case 136 infect their spouse.”
“The new case announced today proves that the country is still under threat to the COVID-19 outbreak and we must remain vigilant, not to be complacent and always obey the directives and advices issued by the government,” said the minister.
The Health Minister also announced the recovery of one individual, bringing the total number of recovered cases in the sultanate to 113.
A total of 23 active cases are still being treated at the National Isolation Cente (NIC), where two individuals are still in critical condition, with both requiring respiratory and heart/lung machine (ECMO) assistance.
As of today, a total of 2407 individuals have completed their quarantine, while 85 individuals are currently undergoing quarantine in accordance to the Infectious Disease Act (Chapter 204).
In the past 24 hours, a total of 165 samples have been tested for SARS-CoV-2 virus, bringing the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 11, 254 tests.
Meanwhile, five more recovered patients have been readmitted to the NIC after they tested positive during a follow-up examination, the Minister of Health revealed.
“This brings the total number of relapsed cases to 16. Of this figure, four individuals are allowed to return home while 12 individuals are undergoing further examination and testing,” the minister added.
YB Dato Dr Hj Md Isham reminded the public to continue carrying out their social responsibilities and practise preventive measures.
“Always practise physical distancing by avoiding large crowds when visiting retail stores or markets, as previously advised.”
“This is in addition to adhering to the mass gathering restrictions and practising personal hygiene, as well as ensuring a clean environment at all times,” he added.
The public are also reminded to dispose used face masks responsibly to prevent the spread of infection and maintain cleanliness.
Alternatively, members of the public can also get the latest information on the COVID-19 situation in Brunei through GOV.BN official channel on Telegram at https://t.me/govbnofficial.
The Bruneian | BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN